Zero and all you power hungry mofos .....

Got used crap for sale? Peddle it here.

Latency

Zero and all you power hungry mofos .....

Post by Latency »

When you jump out and buy your Intel i7 (cause i know you will :P), make sure to sell me your old proc. I'm getting into encoding stuff for HDBits and it's taking 24+ hours for one movie. A quad core will double my speed as this software lets you specify as many threads as you want. :D
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98
zeroumus

Re: Zero and all you power hungry mofos .....

Post by zeroumus »

it is very unlikely i will move to i7 anytime soon

The whole DDR3 platform just does not seem to deliver, I say back to the drawing board with that one.

That being said, it is possible i could be forced to use ddr 3 one day, and if that be the case so be it. DDR 3 is definaly a step backwards, i would put it up there with rambus a little. While core2 was intels successful attempt at low latency computing, The p4/netburst and now i7 are going to be there attempt again at high bandwidth computing. i7 is still way better than netburst, but in comparison to core2, a little questionable.
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Zeros verdict on i7

un-needed socket change ..... fail
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
Latency

Post by Latency »

awwww, fine then.
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98
r337ard

Post by r337ard »

HT is the fail, plain and simple. It will probably be better paired with the on die memory controller and shared cache than it was on the P4's, but I'm not expecting great things from it. HT was always just a marketing gimmic that held little real world value, I suspect this is will be the P4 all over again where real performance takes a back seat to marketing. I hope AMD catches up.
A limited supply of surprisingly, as this homeboy is poised for the big time. Sweet and pure like a honey coated nun, SOULS well sure he funky in the 70s.
Latency

Post by Latency »

Yeah, I was thinking the same as r337. The integrated memory controller will save it somewhat, but it's still backwards thinking. I just know it's boasting some good performance numbers and was just waiting for someone on here to bite and buy one just because.

So ... well, if anyone sees a used Quad Core, please let me know as I need one. I just can't justify paying retail right now.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

if i get another core2 , i will sell ya one
Latency

Post by Latency »

Thanks Jody. Who knows, maybe the prices will fall like crazy by XMas and I'll just buy one retail. Whatever happens will happen.
SCETR

Post by SCETR »

I put in a Q6600 and clocked it up to 3.0 Ghz, and it runs smooth. It's seems to be the best quad core value for the money right now. I paid $215 for it, but now it's gone up again to about $260 I think.
Die in an intense laser fire.
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

LOL, GL calls fail everytime new hardware comes out. Heard this song too many times. :P
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Dolphin wrote:LOL, GL calls fail everytime new hardware comes out. Heard this song too many times. :P

when have I ever been wrong about hardware?
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

zeroumus wrote:
Dolphin wrote:LOL, GL calls fail everytime new hardware comes out. Heard this song too many times. :P

I'm sorry, I haven't been documenting your hardware claims to see if they prove true in the future.
fittysix

Post by fittysix »

The core i7 will be good. Not every new cpu can be the core2 from the p4. The thing about the i7 is that it has potential, it's a core2 with a proper memory controller. It has less cache than most core2s and is faster, wait until it has the same 12mb of cache on it. The core2 needed crazy cache because it had almost no branch prediction and the memory access was slowing it down. With the i7 there is an on-die memory controller and actual branch prediction, the memory is no longer the slow point, the crazy cache is not required, but it will make things faster.

The core i7 is not designed around clock speed like the p4 was, it's design around scalability, it's designed to start at 4 cores, go up to 16, then probably more. They've fine tuned the core2 architecture the best they can, there is no performance left out of them short of ramping up clocks, and they don't want to do that because it will increase heat (they've learned their lesson from the P4) Now they're starting new on a new architecture, this is the first iteration of it and it's already as fast/faster than current core2s. Once they fine tune the thing as they scale it we will see better performance out of the same clock speeds.

It's just too expensive right now, give it 6 months (the intel standard schedule) and they will be better priced
 /l、 SpammerAssassin is built on JBASH (Jason Bourne Again Shell)
(゚、 。7
 l、 ~ヽ   
 じしf_, )ノ
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Dolphin wrote:
zeroumus wrote:

I'm sorry, I haven't been documenting your hardware claims to see if they prove true in the future.

you can safely document me saying the i7 will not be a turning point cpu. Not really bad, not that great ethier, just a boring cpu till something new comes.

Would i buy one at some point, likely, but nothing i am excited to do
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

sounds like cyrix 6x86 hype to me!!!!
Xeon 5675 + Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B | ASUS P6X58D-E | 25GB Patriot DDR3 | Geforece GTX1060 3GB + | Crucial MX500 1TB | InWin 805