Looking for older computer

Got used crap for sale? Peddle it here.

AlphaDrake

Looking for older computer

Post by AlphaDrake »

At SmarchLAN we borrowed a server running OpenBSD to act as the router, and I think it worked pretty awesome (never noticed slow internet, even the guys playing ETQW had the same pings they had at home).

But I gotta give the server back. Anyone have a somewhat older computer I can buy off them to replace it permanently?
Latency

Re: Looking for older computer

Post by Latency »

I got a few here from old clients. I can get one up and running in 10 min. Think the best one's a P4 2.2 with 1GB mem ... might be 512 tho. Contact me if u r interested.
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98
Grapeman

Post by Grapeman »

YES.............OPENBSD FTW!!! FU LINUX, FU FREEBSD............
Dolphins. The GAY sharks of the sea!!!

DIP ME IN CHOCOLATE and THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!!!

There is nothin finer then a Dickens Cider
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

Like there's a big difference
fittysix

Post by fittysix »

FREEBSD FOREVER!!!!!

ipfw pwns ur pf!
 /l、 SpammerAssassin is built on JBASH (Jason Bourne Again Shell)
(゚、 。7
 l、 ~ヽ   
 じしf_, )ノ
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

I am sort of investigating this solution myself. It might be an alternative to the hardware solution i have been trying to temp myself with.

The problem i am having with this is 2 things 1) Not knowing anything "linux/unix,bsd"ish makes the larning curve a little steep. 2) All these software solutions dont give any clue as to how they perform compared to anything. Does your average computer have what it takes to compete with a dedicated hardware solution running custom processors with almost no bus overhead?

edit:

for example, PF sense makes the following warning
In environments requiring more than 3 Gbps or 1 million packets per second of sustained throughput, no router based on commodity hardware offers adequate performance. Such environments need to deploy layer 3 switches (routing done in hardware by the switch) or high end ASIC-based routers. As commodity hardware increases in performance, and general purpose operating systems like FreeBSD improve packet processing capabilities in line with what new hardware capabilities can support, scalability will continue to improve with time.
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
fittysix

Post by fittysix »

zeroumus wrote:All these software solutions dont give any clue as to how they perform compared to anything. Does your average computer have what it takes to compete with a dedicated hardware solution running custom processors with almost no bus overhead?
Well, as for FreeBSD anyways, a P4 3.0 with 2gb of RAM can serve about 1200+ clients with between 1.5-6mbit each

That being said it's hard to say how it does with HIGH bandwidth per client, if you want lots of bandwidth per client I would at least suggest PCI-e network cards, since the physical bus can actually support more than 1 gigabit.
In my experience with it the kernel is more than capable of actually routing the traffic at high speeds however.

edit: btw for anyone running a commodity hardware router, if you want lots of clients, use lots of ram, the routing tables are all kept in ram :P
Last edited by fittysix on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 /l、 SpammerAssassin is built on JBASH (Jason Bourne Again Shell)
(゚、 。7
 l、 ~ヽ   
 じしf_, )ノ
r337ard

Post by r337ard »

We're well outside of the type of scenario described there, we're not looking to switch high bandwidth traffic or route it between networks - we're just looking for a gateway here. We're not going to be pushing those kinds of traffic numbers through the network head for a long long time - so long as all the switches are trunked together and don't rely on our head end router to pass traffic between them we're fine.
A limited supply of surprisingly, as this homeboy is poised for the big time. Sweet and pure like a honey coated nun, SOULS well sure he funky in the 70s.
slayer

Post by slayer »

There is another option for firewall/router.

A product called untangle. Pretty powerful and fairly simple to use and configure.

http://www.untangle.com/
LiViD

Post by LiViD »

Looks like it's a bit of a pig. P4/80GB's/1GB of RAM to start? I'd trade some complexity in setting up a BSD router than use that solution.
Alienware M17xR3 :: i7-2720QM :: 8GB PC3-10600 :: GTX 485M @ 580M :: Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
Japanese Proverb: Bird never make nest in bare tree.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Well, if its simple and it does not jack peopls pings, I got no problem with it being a pig
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD