Spyhop

Re: Boxee Box - $90

Post by Spyhop »

zeroumus succumbs to TROLLBAIT.
zeroumus loses.
Grapeman

Post by Grapeman »

zeroumus wrote:torrents vs usenet again.... i thought this was kinda settled, of course usenet is great. but torrents do have one quality that makes them attractive, that being it is much easier to find old or uncommon content.

for example, 2 years ago when i ran a search to find all the classic episodes of doctor who since the 1960's, usenet came up with nothing helpful. With torrents i got what I wanted in 1 search, top of the list. now excuse me if you do a search now and you find all ~700 episodes, but i know for a fact it was not easy to find when i looked.

again, its the internet, content changes over time and search skillz vary. but i have had constant better luck finding good collections of old content on torrents sites, both private and public over any other method.

for new content, of course torrents are not as good for a few reasons, not as efficient, rights holders might be watching, always a few hours behind more l33t methods. but in the end i still get stuff pretty darn fast.
Maybe you made a spelling mistake?? Woo, or Hu instead of Who!! :lol:

I kid I kid ...
Dolphins. The GAY sharks of the sea!!!

DIP ME IN CHOCOLATE and THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!!!

There is nothin finer then a Dickens Cider
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I do have the occasional need for some obscure media like when my GF goes on an on about some show called "twitch city" (because she has a crush on callum kieth renney)

i've never experienced usenet properly i hate torrents in general

they introduced the masses to piracy, they're the reason my internet at the old place would slow down when i got home from work at the old apartment, the reason I am at my uncles every other week removing virii/toolbars/spyware from his computer because his idiot friends think they're doing him a favor by putting toolbars on his browser and downloading virus laden games from public trackers

I feel like i can partially blame SOPA on BitTorrent, while bittorrent or something like it would have come along anyways(same applies to SOPA)

god knows how many idiots I've seen with limewire/bearshare who have an UL/DL ratio of 0:1000000000000, they make the internet a shitty place those people; because they suck. and torrents enable them...

Every time I use a public tracker I feel like i jumped into a piss and shit filled kiddy pool
Xeon 5675 + Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B | ASUS P6X58D-E | 25GB Patriot DDR3 | Geforece GTX1060 3GB + | Crucial MX500 1TB | InWin 805
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Public sites do feel like the kiddie pool...

for those doctor who episodes i wanted, a public site saved my ass, i got every single episode, and fan reconstructions for the lost episodes. I could not find these episodes via any so-called l33t method. 1000 day retention, just not good enough for collections from the 1960's.

is this a good example to stick up for torrents, maybe not for most, but it worked for me.

as for grapes, sometimes i dont get your strange injection posts. this is one of them.,... wtf

------

back on topic, anyone wanna by dolphins shitty boxxie
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
Grapeman

Post by Grapeman »

zeroumus wrote:
as for grapes, sometimes i dont get your strange injection posts. this is one of them.,... wtf
You are notorious for making of spelling mistakes in your posts which is why I suggested the problems you were having with the searching for "Dr Who" may have been caused by a spelling mistake. I am sure this wasn't the case but I had to say it anyways... :)

Look don't mistake me for defending the Dolphin....I was just making a funny.
Dolphins. The GAY sharks of the sea!!!

DIP ME IN CHOCOLATE and THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!!!

There is nothin finer then a Dickens Cider
Latency

Post by Latency »

I agree about the NAS sucking compared to PC file storage. I ditched the NAS a while back (used it for a month and couldnt handle the slow speed. However, these media streamers have never let me down. They are so cheap, reliable, and play everything your throw at them. No need to worry about codecs or windows backend, it just works, every time. Boots up in an instant and has less parts and less to go wrong. You can have one in every room and it is so bloody simple to setup and use. No XBMC or fancy flashy interface but in the end all I care about is playback.
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98
Qube

Post by Qube »

Jailbroken Apple TV.
previously: vect0r
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Latency wrote:I agree about the NAS sucking compared to PC file storage. I ditched the NAS a while back (used it for a month and couldnt handle the slow speed. However, these media streamers have never let me down. They are so cheap, reliable, and play everything your throw at them. No need to worry about codecs or windows backend, it just works, every time. Boots up in an instant and has less parts and less to go wrong. You can have one in every room and it is so bloody simple to setup and use. No XBMC or fancy flashy interface but in the end all I care about is playback.

I wish i could agree and claim to have the experience you had, but i could only get that with SD content. with high quality h264 encodes, nothing but pain with these little boxes.

unreleated....
speaking of little boxes, this project has me a little excited and might lead to good reliable media devices
http://www.raspberrypi.org/ . mini computers for $35.00 that are designed for community projects, can only lead to good things such as media boxes with good support. I am planning to pick up a dozen of these little guys and start some programming experiments that will test some concepts i have for future MMO server tech. And while they are not designed in the conventional sense to make super computers. I believe the future of some server set ups will be with large arrays of these gutless systems. ( mmos for example ). not going to get into what i have planned as it is completely new ideas that will best be explained once i can show it working.
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
r337ard

Post by r337ard »

zeroumus wrote:unreleated....
speaking of little boxes, this project has me a little excited and might lead to good reliable media devices
http://www.raspberrypi.org/ . mini computers for $35.00 that are designed for community projects, can only lead to good things such as media boxes with good support. I am planning to pick up a dozen of these little guys and start some programming experiments that will test some concepts i have for future MMO server tech. And while they are not designed in the conventional sense to make super computers. I believe the future of some server set ups will be with large arrays of these gutless systems. ( mmos for example ). not going to get into what i have planned as it is completely new ideas that will best be explained once i can show it working.

Sounds like server Physicalization, which a number of companies are doing with Atom based systems. Basically uber cheap high density blades of atom chips that can do massively parallel processing with a small cost and low thermal footprint. A Virtualized infrastructure gets pretty expensive to scale, so there is a niche market for high density physical servers still.
A limited supply of surprisingly, as this homeboy is poised for the big time. Sweet and pure like a honey coated nun, SOULS well sure he funky in the 70s.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

r337ard wrote:

Sounds like server Physicalization, which a number of companies are doing with Atom based systems. Basically uber cheap high density blades of atom chips that can do massively parallel processing with a small cost and low thermal footprint. A Virtualized infrastructure gets pretty expensive to scale, so there is a niche market for high density physical servers still.
nope, not parallel at all. All very dynamic, dependent, and real time. :) oh, and likely to generate alot of heat and eat alot of power if turned into production silicon... hahaha
r337ard

Post by r337ard »

zeroumus wrote:
r337ard wrote:

nope, not parallel at all. All very dynamic, dependent, and real time. :) oh, and likely to generate alot of heat and eat alot of power if turned into production silicon... hahaha
I meant parallel across disparate systems, ie: instead of spinning up additional virtual instances on another server to handle load you can activate additional physical systems to manage it. It has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, but if your requirements are more computational than memory intensive it's a better way to go.
I've heard the big push for the technology is for computational clusters, it's cheaper than renting supercomputer time and the resources can be allocated and shared pretty easily (unlike supercomputers).
A limited supply of surprisingly, as this homeboy is poised for the big time. Sweet and pure like a honey coated nun, SOULS well sure he funky in the 70s.
JohnyRico

Post by JohnyRico »

Good example of this is the farms that are utilizing Mac Minis, Decent hardware with small foot print.
Attachments
minisdark.jpg
r337ard

Post by r337ard »

JohnyRico wrote:Good example of this is the farms that are utilizing Mac Minis, Decent hardware with small foot print.
That's really more a clustering operation than what I'm talking about, that's not dissimilar to the PS3 clusters people were experimenting with a few years back, but that's more or less the idea. There were a few companies talking about shipping 1U chassis with 4-6 servers in them ready to rack.
Latency

Post by Latency »

zeroumus wrote:
Latency wrote:I agree about the NAS sucking compared to PC file storage. I ditched the NAS a while back (used it for a month and couldnt handle the slow speed. However, these media streamers have never let me down. They are so cheap, reliable, and play everything your throw at them. No need to worry about codecs or windows backend, it just works, every time. Boots up in an instant and has less parts and less to go wrong. You can have one in every room and it is so bloody simple to setup and use. No XBMC or fancy flashy interface but in the end all I care about is playback.

I wish i could agree and claim to have the experience you had, but i could only get that with SD content. with high quality h264 encodes, nothing but pain with these little boxes.
Was it a networking issue? Because I've never heard of any of these players with issues playing 1080p H264 mkv files..... I am using wired gigabit and stream full 1080P H264 without any issues. I can understand if you are trying wireless tho.... but then it's not a fault of the player at all.
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98
Qube

Post by Qube »

Latency wrote:
Was it a networking issue? Because I've never heard of any of these players with issues playing 1080p H264 mkv files..... I am using wired gigabit and stream full 1080P H264 without any issues. I can understand if you are trying wireless tho.... but then it's not a fault of the player at all.
I was using the WD TV Live HD wired and had zero issues with all 1080p MKV content - no stuttering at all. When I moved I was forced to go wireless and had some issues where about 30 mins it - it would start to stutter pretty bad. Recently I switched to an Apple TV and jailbroke it, can stream all 1080P wireless on my 5Ghz band without an issue whether its through the built in media player or the XBMC addon.
previously: vect0r