WTB CRT

Got used crap for sale? Peddle it here.

zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

rob[GL] wrote:My list of reasons why I chose LCD;

1. LCD take up less space. (more room on my desk for other things)
2. LCD weigh less. (better for hauling and lanning)
3. LCD use 100-200watt LESS power. (compared to large CRT)
4. LCD have perfect geometry. (more more trapezoid adjustment - wee!!)
5. LCD don't have refresh rate flicker. (even 85Hz is annoying)

While current LCD's are not capable of displaying an infinite contrast ratio like CRT's can, the response time should no longer be a valid argument. Personally I can't notice the difference of anything under 8ms, and if you can - perhaps take a look at the Viewsonic VX922. I got one for Christmas, and with a 2ms response time, I haven't seen ghosting in any high action DVD's or FPS games.

i dont get this, why is everyone on this forum except joe and I get this. Despite all the nice things about lcd's they suffer from low frame rate, and response time will always be a secondary consideration

Anyone serious about playing a FPS will use a crt, plain and simple, if you argue about this, your a poser, ignorant or just a casual gamer.

""" (even 85Hz is annoying) """, think about that a little!

If anyone here continues to spew out brainwashed garbage on this topic, I will hunt you down and have you corrected . I am getting sick of it
JohnyRico

Post by JohnyRico »

Or...

Despite your argument, and your using a CRT will still get your ass handed to you from those of us who do use LCD and can "adjust/adapt" to the LCD limitations and still hand out the frags in FPS'es.

You can argue all you want, CRT has its advantages... for you.
But I still FPS with the best of you GL'ers and hold my own, on a LCD... you can argue I would do even better with a CRT but I had CRTs and didn't have any better scores, so I doubt the argument holds any merit.

I would typically call you a poser or a casual gamer, if you have the CRT that does 600 Frame/sec and cannot still hold your own in a game ("you" is not you zero, but a generalization)
entune

Post by entune »

or....
zeroumus is correct and your attempt to hold some intellectual weight over him in your reply is meaningless!
JohnyRico

Post by JohnyRico »

as specified... it isn't just intellectual banter, from experience.

I have bestest both above mentioned CRT luv'ers in games, on their high frame rate crts.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

more than likely your basing this argument while playing games that internally can't go much beyond 60 ( most games these days while in multiplayer ). but nice try.

... and... The player skill has nothing to do with this argument. Gear is NOT a substitute for player skill, but gear does help the skilled. Anyone who really understands this argument also knows this
JohnyRico

Post by JohnyRico »

Well, lets see... Original UT.

Quake3 are a couple base my experience on.

Now I know You and Latency are not both Q3 players, that is an unfair game to base it on, but it was to answer your question on the type of games I would base my experiences on, not the Frame limiting games.

Please keep in mind, I am not arguing that this is not a valid hardware preference for you... but you cannot argue that it is a valid argument for everyone and those who do not use it, are posers.

Now similarly like you, my buddy who played and plays with decent hardware and like his frame rate very high, played his FPS so quickly, that he would notice "Client Prediction" in games... and has refused to play newer games cause of this feature.

I've seen it myself, standing behind him playing... quite amazing really, anyways, he always had to have 200 FPS and such in his games in order to feel it was worth playing, but he has adjusted and plays on LCD now as well, but still hates client prediction with a passion to this day.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

i doupt we will find a game we can agree is a fair testing ground, but again, it does not matter.

your buddy sounds very like me, the low frame rate coupled with prediction to compensate for network play has turned me off of every fps game after q2. of course I own a lcd currently, but now I play anything but fps, I still have my 21" monitor, but that wont work since games today limit frame rate even if the the game is capable of much more. and on top of that video cards today are not that much more powerful than a 3dfx card if you try to simply disable all the quality settings.

what I dont fucking get is, someone in the industry thought lcd TV's needed 120hz ( and they go and waste it on making up frames), but not computer monitors. can anyone explain this retardedness. Industry say take a 30 or 60 fps source and fake it too 120, and for computers, take a 120hz source and convert it to 85 or 75
entune

Post by entune »

ok zeroumus said "Anyone serious about playing a FPS will use a crt, plain and simple, if you argue about this, your a poser, ignorant or just a casual gamer."

This has nothing to do with how good u think u are or the fact that people can try and make up for the downfalls of lcd, he is just saying that crt IS better for fps shooters.

His poser comment is probably uncalled for but if you are using a lcd for fps shooters then you are most likely not an insanely serious player but this also does not mean you are poser.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

the poser thing is uncalled for.

i got no problems with people making choices, so long as they actually base it of something real, even i made the choice for lcd while accepting the short comings of it.

for example if joe makes a thread about wanting a crt for fps, then dolphin comes along and says the rise fall times on lcds are much better these days, clearly dolphin reads to much pr and does not have a clue what he is talking about

it's this scenario that gets me all worked up
rob[GL]

Post by rob[GL] »

This thread sucks.
I was GL!
I am 780!
JohnyRico

Post by JohnyRico »

entune wrote:ok zeroumus said "Anyone serious about playing a FPS will use a crt, plain and simple, if you argue about this, your a poser, ignorant or just a casual gamer."
Serious was defined by the comparisons made toward Zeroumus and Latency as the benchmark... which would make any of us the same seriousness as them.
zeroumus wrote:i dont get this, why is everyone on this forum except joe and I get this.
Dragonfire[AB]

Post by Dragonfire[AB] »

i personaly also have followed zero when it comes to fps i will only play on my crt i have both and my crt is here for that 1 reason fps
Grapeman

Post by Grapeman »

I use and own an LCD now simply because it is a lot fucn easier to bring it to lans.

Thats all...

I would just like to point out that this thread was revived by zero after almost a month of it sitting here not bugging anybody!! hehe...great revivial!! :D
Dolphins. The GAY sharks of the sea!!!

DIP ME IN CHOCOLATE and THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!!!

There is nothin finer then a Dickens Cider
JohnyRico

Post by JohnyRico »

whoa... Captain Obvious!

and Captain Happy Pants... under the same roof... who is in charge when the ranks are the same? :P

Feel the Love!
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

Grapeman wrote:I use and own an LCD now simply because it is a lot fucn easier to bring it to lans.

Thats all...
Run that thing at native resolution already before I come over and beat you down! :D