possible location for a LAN party

Title says it all ...
kid652

possible location for a LAN party

Post by kid652 »

This is a dead thread now... cool, that rymed....
Last edited by kid652 on Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Keith 'Kid652' Maceyocski

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
kid652

Post by kid652 »

zeroumus Wrote:
no garage or house is big enough to support everyone who wants to come

Mobious Wrote:
we could always make the garage 'overflow'

JamesDean Wrote:
get some 2x4's and some tarps and extend the garage out

Kid652 Wrote:
Well, if I lived in Edmonton, I would have no problem hosting about 35-40 people...However, I live in leduc, and obviously less than half of the people would come.

I have a nice little table that I could lend you guys if you need it. Its pretty sturdy 3x6ft.

Dolphin Wrote:
Leduc is pretty close.
We've done Devon lans.

Dolphin Wrote:
Leduc is pretty close.
We've done Devon lans.

Scald Wrote:
id be all good for Leduc
i think most people wouldnt really care if its out of town so long as it is fairly close, and that way we dont get peopel screwed out of it

kid652 wrote:
Well, if I lived in Edmonton, I would have no problem hosting about 35-40 people...However, I live in leduc, and obviously less than half of the people would come.

I have a nice little table that I could lend you guys if you need it. Its pretty sturdy 3x6ft.

Lucid Wrote:

kid652 Quote: "Well, if I lived in Edmonton, I would have no problem hosting about 35-40 people...However, I live in leduc, and obviously less than half of the people would come.

I have a nice little table that I could lend you guys if you need it. Its pretty sturdy 3x6ft."

Curious, how do you figure you could host 35-40 people?

Dodgy Wrote:
I would like to see how that many people fit around a table that size.

Kid652 Wrote:
...OK, take a big breath. This is how we could fit that many people in my house...

OK, In the basement, I could fit 8 tables of 3-4 people each ( the tables are 10-12 feet long) In the garage we could have 3 rows of 6 tables each getting 3-4 people on each table.

If my math is right,
8+6=14 tables
lets go with 3 people per table
14x3=42 people
and with 4 people per table
14*4=56 people

So I could host about 46 people, give or take. Being that I am only 16, my parents would be home for the whole thing, and they would prolly have a concession for you guys too.

That is how I would host more than 35-40 people in my house.

Power is not a problem, because we can setup a few dedicated breakers that will be more than enough to supply everyone.

Option #2

My father is part of a fish and wildlife club. They have a very nice big hall that I can rent for cheap. $50/day, and prolly $50 for the electricity. So for a total of $200, we can have a spacious hall, that would suit our needs quite nicely.

If admission was $10, we would need 20 people to break even. If I was to do this hall, then I would prefer to get payments in advance, so that I don't have a 2 day LAN with all of my non-paying clan members....

At the hall, there is no internet, however, Those of you who have a wireless card, could prolly bridge a connection to the network.

Once again, My parents will prolly be supervising, and they will also be running a concesion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a collection of quotes of what was said about needing a possible change of location.

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

I would so chip in for a hall.
kid652

Post by kid652 »

The hall does have some very good benefits. I talked to my parents and they are all for it, so long as we can get some form of prepayment, so that people will actually show up.

If we do end up hosting it there, then I can prolly get hooked up with at least 2 projectors.

I have 3 24port 10/100 network switches, but the gigabit switch would be a good thing to have on hand, along with a bunch of cables.

Power also won't be a problem.

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Zero and I planned to host this lan, Plan it for another date, Hallowlan's location isnt changing.
Xeon 5675 + Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B | ASUS P6X58D-E | 25GB Patriot DDR3 | Geforece GTX1060 3GB + | Crucial MX500 1TB | InWin 805
kid652

Post by kid652 »

Thats okay, I was just thinking you might like to explore other possibilities so that you could get a slightly larger turnout for a LAN party.

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
kid652

Post by kid652 »

Maby I may explore this possibility for sometime in January...

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

Mobius wrote:Zero and I planned to host this lan, Plan it for another date, Hallowlan's location isnt changing.
No one's trying to harsh on your pad man. I think it's awesome when anyone goes to the trouble of hosting a lan. But still, a hall is cooler than anyone's house! Well, except maybe Batman's house. OH!! Or Superman's house! The kryptonian crystals would provide ample power and the north pole is SWEET for overclocking. Lex isn't invited though......he's a dick and he h4xed last time.......

aaaannywaay......whatever happens it's cool with me wherever we lan and thanks again for hosting. I guess I've just always adopted a "the more the merrier" attitude to lans. :)
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Id go to your lan in January, but location is pretty much set in stone when the announcment hits. I'm sure people will duck out of hallow if not just come anyways.
Xeon 5675 + Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B | ASUS P6X58D-E | 25GB Patriot DDR3 | Geforece GTX1060 3GB + | Crucial MX500 1TB | InWin 805
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

I'm sure everyone would rather go to a hall then to a garage where theres not heat and its cramped

I'd go for sure
punqewe wrote:could be worse...I mean you have to almost be psychic to figure out what Fiber's posts are. lol
latency

Post by latency »

what ? you ppl are insane. last hallowlan we fit 26 people in my garage. yes 26! i think we can fit 21 in a basement that's larger than my garage. I planned on hosting this with zero and roy and will continue to do so. we'll set things up a few days prior and make sure we can fit everyone one way or another (i also wanted a day or 2 to decorate with halloween stuff). they have a kick ass basement with awesome atmosphere, freedom to do almost anything we want, and most important, warmth. if we host at a hall, all profits go to some money grubbing land ower and we gotta follow their rules. at least we will be giving money to a good cause by doing it this way. location is NOT changing.

oh yeah, hall=no fire pit. no fit pit = lose.
PyroPete

Post by PyroPete »

latency wrote:and most important, warmth.
LOL

Give it a few hours. You will retract this statement very quickly.
After all is said and done, more is said than done. - Aesop (620 BC - 560 BC)
latency

Post by latency »

Oh fore sure. It'll be host as hell when people start filling up. But we have windows and fans.
Lucid

Post by Lucid »

latency wrote:they have a kick ass basement with awesome atmosphere, freedom to do almost anything we want, and most important, warmth. if we host at a hall, all profits go to some money grubbing land ower and we gotta follow their rules.
qft. Although the promise of more space is appealing, using halls has too many other drawbacks.

Not having internet is a BIG negative.

Back when Tony hosted DevonLAN, he busted his ass to organize a good LAN, and succeeded, though there were still two main drawbacks: having to "follow the rules" as they apply to alcohol and the like, and having shoddy/lack of internet. Furthermore, he also barely broke even on it.

kid652, you don't actually want to run a lan in a hall. You'll look back on the effort it took, and regret it.
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

MegaFPS runs it's LAN's in halls, and I can assure you it takes much more effort to run it there as opposed to a garage or basement.