possible location for a LAN party

Title says it all ...
latency

Post by latency »

I remember hosting at the STS offices (my old work). While the LANs were fun for all, they were VERY stressful to host. Especially NinjaLAN where we were kicked out after a day of lanning. I remember getting in shit from the landlord for people leaving drugs in the bathroom too. LAN's are not for the public. People have such a hard time understanding that lans are non-stop for 2-3 days. When I was looking for halls, the owners just couldn't understand that we needed to stay overnight in the hall and go hard all weekend. They just don't understand. It's an underground cult that needs it's own private place so it can be free, in a grungey basement or garage! viva la resistance! :).
kid652

Post by kid652 »

Well, there have been a few points raised that I fell would be a good thing to address.

1) I know as well as everyone else that the location for the HallowLAN has been selected and that it will not change. And yes, I do know that the title of the thread is kinda missleading now...

2) I have hosted LAN parties both at the hall and at my house, and to be honest, the hall was amazingly easier to do than it was to do in my house for a few reasons:
-The hall was nice and big, so there was not an issue of space.
-The hall was much easier to both set up and clean up.
--At my home, we have to move couches, chairs, tables, home theater equiptment etc. out, and then we have to move in different chairs, and a very large table in.
--At the hall, we show up, turn on the furnace, move the tables into rows, cover the bulitin boards with paper ( so things don't fall off and get damaged) set up the concession in the kitchen, setup the PCs, and wait for people to come.

-To take everything down
--At my house, everyone packs up all of their gear and leaves, then I have to spend the next 4 hours taking out all of the garbage, vaccuming, cleaning up any spills, and moving the furnature back the way it was.
-- At the Hall, everyone packs up their gear and leaves, then we vaccume, put the tables back the way we found them, and leave the cash in the office. (prolly like 2 hours of cleanup)

3) As for the rules.
At my house, I would expect that there wouldn't be too much rough housing, banging into walls, lighting certain areas of the body on fire, etc... Normally everyone would be fairly trashed with too much of a caffine intake and no sleep.

At the hall, It does have a very large cement basement, so if you were to rough house, then that would be the place to do it, so that there would be very minimal damage taken by the building.

4) Another point that I have also thought of that has not been addressed, is the fact that almost everyone drives, and is going to have a car to park somewhere. At both locations, luckily, there is sufficent parking for many cars. At my house, there is a cresent to which we can fit almost 10 cars in. At the hall there is a huge parking lot that could prolly hold like 30-40 cars alone, still having enough space to let anyone come and go as they wish, and not causing gamers to move the cars so they can get out.

If anything I would say that for me, the hall would be much easier, as long as people actually signed up and showed up.
Keith 'Kid652' Maceyocski

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
kid652

Post by kid652 »

I would be more than willing to host a LAN party some time in January, at the hall, and I would love to see everyone come out.

Nothing is official until I see what LAN parites are going to be around that time, and when the hall is avalable.

If anyone would be interested, let me know.

for now, lets say the admission will be at highest, $15. (just a rough esimate)

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

I still say Superman's house would be kick ass.
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

kid652 wrote: 4) Another point that I have also thought of that has not been addressed, is the fact that almost everyone drives, and is going to have a car to park somewhere. At both locations, luckily, there is sufficent parking for many cars. At my house, there is a cresent to which we can fit almost 10 cars in. At the hall there is a huge parking lot that could prolly hold like 30-40 cars alone, still having enough space to let anyone come and go as they wish, and not causing gamers to move the cars so they can get out.

If anything I would say that for me, the hall would be much easier, as long as people actually signed up and showed up.

hahah ya, we wouldn't have to pick up the ass end of a car and move it cause its blocked in ahhaah
punqewe wrote:could be worse...I mean you have to almost be psychic to figure out what Fiber's posts are. lol
kid652

Post by kid652 »

lol, good times...Yeah, we wouldn't have to do any of that, but if we feel that we are in the need to lift someone's car, I am sure that could prolly be arranged...

And yes, Superman's house would be kinda cool.... Just not the fact that he wears tights....

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
TFG

Post by TFG »

I Miss the STS lans...

hell, i remember one lan at Joe's parents place.. that garage kicked ass..

Hall lans blow for 3 reasons:

1. Most halls dont let you stay overnight
2. Most halls require a booze licence to consume onsite
3. No internet for those fast drivers..
kid652

Post by kid652 »

Well, at this hall, there is no problem with us staying over the night, so long as we keep the noise to a minimum during the late/early hours.

The booze licence should be no problem, so long as you are careful, and can hide the booze incase an officer walks in...
I will see if we do need a booze licence or not

Yes, I do know that I will lose people because there is no wired internet comming into the hall. The only way that we can get internet to the hall is if someone has a wireless card/router. There is a huge apartment building right behind the place, so the wireless internet shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
Lt_Bonghit

Post by Lt_Bonghit »

Well Im sure if you hosted one at said hall you wouldnt have a problem getting the people out. I know some of the megafps guys would like to come out to a garage lan event but seeing as they are small in location dont really get the chance.

We have had 20-30 at our last couple lans (i think almost 40 in August) and are in search of a larger facitilty.

Even if it wasnt in leduc but in town I dont see a problem if both our groups got together and rented a hall. We should at least be able to pull 40 guys and at 20 bucks a piece thats 800 bucks.
Decker

Post by Decker »

I could probably pitch a part of the down payment untill you get some pre paid lanners. Setting up the hall I could help the most with. Gotta love manual labour jobs, woo!
I'm a man. I do manly things. Like drink vodka straight, while doing 1 armed chin-ups, and punching baby bunnies. All at the same time.
kid652

Post by kid652 »

That would be great! I will mark that down, and when we decide on a date I will let you know.

This also depends on interested people as well.

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

Yea, we try to have the core guys help clean up, the work of 10 guys sure gets stuff done fast. And Kid652, as a thankyou, most people should be more than willing to help you clean up a bit if you have a LAN at your house...
kid652

Post by kid652 »

Well, I personally wouldn't like to have it at my house because we would be taking up pretty much the whole basement, and the garage. If we have it at the hall, it would be more conducive to having a LAN party, and the setup/cleanup would be a breeze anyway.
The power also would be less of an issue being that there are outlets all around the hall.

In our garage, there is only 1 power outlet, and that is shared among other outlets through out the house.

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com
Scald

Post by Scald »

haha

we need to pay somone to snake a CAT5e cable fro hsi house over to the hall :lol:
kid652

Post by kid652 »

WEll, that would be a few kilometers in length... An easier option would be to call shaw to hook it up, and then cancel the internet after the event.

Kid652@gmail.com
penguinkm@hotmail.com