GreatlanthatwilltalktalkedaboutforabitLAN 2009

Title says it all ...
fiber-optics

Re: GreatlanthatwilltalktalkedaboutforabitLAN 2009

Post by fiber-optics »

I had to work :(

50 bucks and no one wanted to work it lol
punqewe wrote:could be worse...I mean you have to almost be psychic to figure out what Fiber's posts are. lol
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ko0kie wrote:
Mobius wrote:Mmmm Catered event...

I'm a pro line cook and I'd be happy to whip up some gourmet meals :)
ROY FIRE BASA
BASA YO
Xeon 5675 + Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B | ASUS P6X58D-E | 25GB Patriot DDR3 | Geforece GTX1060 3GB + | Crucial MX500 1TB | InWin 805
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Joeys took Basa and Mikeys off the menu :(

Probably because the price of basa jumped and the standards for cooks there got lower later on because mikeys were the only tough dish to cook in that resteraunt...
Xeon 5675 + Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B | ASUS P6X58D-E | 25GB Patriot DDR3 | Geforece GTX1060 3GB + | Crucial MX500 1TB | InWin 805
Lucid

Post by Lucid »

Mobius wrote:Mmmm Catered event...

I'm a pro line cook and I'd be happy to whip up some gourmet meals :)
bacon wrapped bacon?
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

blackened cucumber tomatoe orderves wrapped in bacon
trythis1

Post by trythis1 »

this was a great lan
i think for the most part everyone had lots of fun

if you are going to have another lan at that hall i am calling dibs on the #1 spot in line :)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin
Ryzzen

Post by Ryzzen »

WEWT RTS LAN
Latency

Post by Latency »

Yep, it was a great experience. I walked away feeling really satisfied in every area but the amount of FPS played. There was a ton of RTS but us FPS folk had a hard time mustering up the games. The super long RTS games also probably affected the amount of players available for FPS but I can't blame the RTS guys, they went to the LAN to RTS and they got it. To remedy the situation, I've already talked with Grapes and he's happy to be our go to guy for creating a LAN schedule. We'll know when certain games will be played (FPS or RTS) and we can co-ordinate times when everyone can go for dinner/lunch AT THE SAME TIME. There was a few times when we were rip roaring and ready to go for TF2 but were waiting for hours on end for people to come back to the LAN from various restaurants. I know it's fun to socialize but IMHO it should be done at the LAN. Go for food, socialize for 30 minutes and come back. I don't want to point fingers but this is just an observation. Anyways, it was a damn fun time and a hella great location. The next LAN will be even better, guaranteed!

Oh and a big thanks to everyone for the cleanup, especially Whyte, Zero, Mob and Grapes. You four guys went above and beyond what is expected (as per usual) .... Major props and thanks! And JR, I am so sorry for not being there early. You showed a lot of class by coming back to help setup the LAN and get the internet working for us. And I gotta give props to the ever so cool Calgary guys for coming all of the way up here. You 3 are always gaming and never stop .... we should all take an example from you guys for the next LAN.

To sum up the event:

Postives:

- Street Fighter 4!!!!!!!
- Damn awesome guys to sit next to (Calgary Guys)
- Some great TF2 on Saturday morning/lunch.
- The great L4D versus on Saturday night. I loved being the zombies!!! Screw humans.
- Just seeing all of the monitors lit up at night ... always a surreal feeling that gives me man tears and my reason for hosting these things.
- Everyone treated each other and the location with outstanding respect. This is what makes GL such a great group. Maybe next time we can pick less on Dolphin though :).
- In the end, at around 4:00PM, the hall was cleaner than we found it and it was a good feeling. The caretaker was VERY happy when we talked later in the evening. Awesome stuff.

Negatives:

- More gaming ... or shall I say organized gaming. This was my fault as the host, and I promise that it will be better the next time ..... FAR BETTER!

-Joe
Last edited by Latency on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98
Grapeman

Post by Grapeman »

Wait ... didnt he do that cause he wasnt coming to the lan?? Wait ... what did he put in the water when we werent looking. I am suddenly feeling funny ...like I ate a clown?
Dolphins. The GAY sharks of the sea!!!

DIP ME IN CHOCOLATE and THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!!!

There is nothin finer then a Dickens Cider
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

I am going to be a little more direct to the point. the dinner thing has gotten out of hand. Lans are NOT time to hit up BP's for 3-5 hours for drinks. This is a selfish act by those who do this at lans towards all the people who bother to drag their systems to the lan for non-stop gamming. you guys can do nights out at the lounge and console parties anytime without the overhead of lugging gear around. When you sign up for a lan, your signing up to play games most of the time. now we can possibly argue the RTS group did take a little away from the FPS action, but at least we where playing games like hard-core lanners.

I fully support a nazi style approach to the dinner schedule, i just dont see the point of going to these types of lans without it anymore. i think everyone going to lans should be expected to stick to some form of reasonable schedule

whats a reasonble schedule, I would be happy with this on a Saturday;

morning to noon, file leech, breakfast, anything goes.

Noon - 2pm, Faetured FPS game

2pm-5pm any game ( but ideally your present )

5pm - 7pm, dinner

7pm - 9pm, Faetured FPS game

9pm >, any game. ( but ideally your present )

-----

is it really that much to ask that we all take dinner around a certain time and schedule a simple 4 hours a day to the game that is popular atm
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

Wait.
You mean that when friends who haven't seen each other for awhile get together in a social setting, and they get hungry, they exhibit a tendency to dine together?
This human behavior must be purged from our midst!

We only went for dinner once the whole weekend. One dinner at a LAN is completely reasonable, and something we traditionally do.
The problem wasn't people leaving for food, the problem was people not playing. The RTS crew were a rare sight in the big LAN games. That was a solid quarter of the LAN that consistently did not participate with what the rest of us were doing. Getting people started on something like TF2 took awhile and when we finally got a game going people would only play a couple of rounds and then quit. Same with L4D. Only got about 30min of playtime before people logged.

I didn't find it that big of a deal, mind you. I was happy just being there. I just feel you have your facts wrong.
Scheduling a LAN will never work. You can't coordinate the schedule for that many people when they're only there to have fun and relax. What works at lans is participants not being rigid when it comes to games being played. If people want to play something, just go ahead and play it. It doesn't matter if the game isn't on of your favorites, you'll probably have fun playing it anyway because you're at a lan with friends.

Just go with the flow.
mertz

Post by mertz »

Dolphin wrote:Just go with the flow.
yeah man... just like... chill out! you gotta fight the power, at least when you're not rolling a gram or scoring some 'cid. fuckin rules.. who came up with this idea of order anyway? it's like.. bare feet, hairy legs, what else do you need, y'know? lets all join hands... cmon everybody now...

8)
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Well if there is a schedule, people would be more likely to play the same games.

LAN's are fun, and schedule adherence is always optional.

While I agree an optional schedule would increase the players in each game by at least a quarter, Its a double edged sword.

Create a schedule and its alot easier to play the blame game if game events don't live up to the lofty expectations.

I don't want to get singled out for being one of four people who decide they don't feel like facing a stacked team for instance. I can just see the thread posts now.... "We (one of the guys on said stacked team) were all having fun until Roy and Dan fucked off and played SF4 and broke my concentration by laughing cheering and having fun!!!" The nerve...

I'll submit to a schedule, but keep in mind its not some kind of rosetta stone of lanning that will guide us to the promised LANd
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Dolphin wrote:Wait.
You mean that when friends who haven't seen each other for awhile get together in a social setting, and they get hungry, they exhibit a tendency to dine together?
This human behavior must be purged from our midst!

We only went for dinner once the whole weekend. One dinner at a LAN is completely reasonable, and something we traditionally do.
The problem wasn't people leaving for food, the problem was people not playing. The RTS crew were a rare sight in the big LAN games. That was a solid quarter of the LAN that consistently did not participate with what the rest of us were doing. Getting people started on something like TF2 took awhile and when we finally got a game going people would only play a couple of rounds and then quit. Same with L4D. Only got about 30min of playtime before people logged.

I didn't find it that big of a deal, mind you. I was happy just being there. I just feel you have your facts wrong.
Scheduling a LAN will never work. You can't coordinate the schedule for that many people when they're only there to have fun and relax. What works at lans is participants not being rigid when it comes to games being played. If people want to play something, just go ahead and play it. It doesn't matter if the game isn't on of your favorites, you'll probably have fun playing it anyway because you're at a lan with friends.

Just go with the flow.
ya know what, i dont really know who was doing what at any given moment, but that corner was more empty and full the whole lan.

sure, i can take some heat too. but it ends in blaming the other group for starting it. We started a RTS cuz the TF2 server was not being used, you guys did not play TF2 cuz we where RTSing. so no one is going to win that one. I do know one thing though, rts group logged alot of game time while others logged very little We came and played games with our computer. I just dont think we are the villians here. Hell even at frag it was the RTS group that was always around playing games, and all the rest of GL showing off their empty seats while FPS servers where packed. The garagelan isle was almost a joke as far as lan groups go.

I know trying to enforce a schedule is hard. Going with the flow does not seem to work. what would you suggest, i suppose you could suggest banning RTS groups from playing sup_com, but using that logic, i would think you would have to admit that the console would not be allowed either.

Or maybe the real issue is banning games that require long commitments, if that where the case, i doupt i would come as i prefer long games. I like the the fact you have to make it count or else you blew 3 hours failing. While I love tf2, i found the rounds to short.
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
Latency

Post by Latency »

I can't stress enough that I had a blast at the LAN. I didn't mean to start a flame war. A schedule WILL be implemented at the next LAN. It won't be nazi rule style but more of a guideline. I honestly feel left out when it comes to the whole dinner out thing because I am the one responsible for the hall ... and I feel like I need to stay behind. Sure it's great for those of you that go out for dinner but keep it respectable for those of us here at the LAN .... we wanna be social too. Dinners can be done any old night, LANs happen once or twice a year, take advantage while they happen.
Last edited by Latency on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98