MegaFPS Crossover/HallowLAN

Title says it all ...
zeroumus

Re: MegaFPS Crossover/HallowLAN

Post by zeroumus »

Locus wrote:Gents, I know I mentioned gear support for this proposed joint lanning experience, but I spoke with my amigo (who is sadly dieing to use some of the gear he has amassed over the years) that his friend in Shaw has graciously offered some free internets (10 25 MBit connections that would be load balanced) to the event if it were to take place.

I'm not sure this changes anything in regards to when, how, who or where, just thought it might offer a little motivation towards putting something this cool together.

So we stand with the following, network (both lan and wan), two willing parties (GL and Mega FPS), the will to pull something like this off?

do you know how to load balance it?

---------

As for Equipment GL has normally

We have 2 16port 100mbit switchs
1 24 port gigabit switch
id10t does have access to managed switchs and enterprise class network gear

We can usually put together a reasonably powerful server for game hosting.

got lots of cable and trunks in joes lan bag, I will have to invest in a few more power cables i think

joe has a bunch of tables, dont think we need them for goldbar though

----

if you want, I could investigate making some power distribution boxes and runs, i dont know if megafps has such things or just runs extension cables around like us atm
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
Latency

Post by Latency »

Goldbar has plently of tables. I was thinking of capping this LAN at 60 people, just to keep the sleeping situation comfortable ... we could probably fit more but I have no idea where people would sleep if we had more than 60.
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

People don't have to sleep at the venue. I imagine many of us south-easterners will just make the short trip home.
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

Few things:

We used all of the Goldbar tables at our last LAN (some say DO NOT USE on them). That was space for 50 people. May need to look into bringing some others.

As for equipment: I have three 24 port gigabit switches with 2 fiber ports one 48 port 10/100 switch, and one 24 port 10/100 switch. Also a Dlink gamerlounge gigabit router, and 100 cat5e cables (25 and 50 feet, fifty of each) and one 100ft cat6 cable.

I had signups open at www.megafps.com (creating an account signs you up) but if you guys wanted to do this a different way I am open to suggestions.

Sent joe a reply pm about coffee, should get some details hammered out this week :)
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

whats the name and model of those gigabit switchs

the one I got is the linksys SR2024, not the greatest, but good enough if 100 megabit is the only thing around

I got no problem investing in new equipment if we think we need better gear, I really want to move to a real router so as to address the constant isssues that internet access has brung in the last couple of years of lanning. having a GOOD master switch is going to be a must in the futre too.

---------------

I cant imagine trying to pack more the 60 people in that hall myself, so I agree with the 60 #. Lets just consider this a get to know eachother lan, I would like to plan something of a bigger nature for the end of winter

----------------

who ever speaks with the guy at goldbar, ask him about that A/C unit hanging in the middle, that thing looks sketchy hanging there, has someone checked that thing to make sure it will not fall on some poor guy. I know asking that is lame and its proabbly safe, but i dont want it on my conscience.
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

They are linksys SR2024's with some extra letter... I'll check when I get home.

Also: I know we'd have to do a different seating plan than whats currently on megafps.com if we do the merger.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

AlphaDrake wrote:They are linksys SR2024's with some extra letter... I'll check when I get home.

Also: I know we'd have to do a different seating plan than whats currently on megafps.com if we do the merger.

ya, I think it's an R, i think we have the same gear then. Differant model, same general specs. The 100 mega bit switchs we got are just AOPEN's. Joe will back me up on this, those AOPEN switchs have been the most reliable network gear we have ever put into a lanning enviroment. but they are just 100 Mbit :(
Locus

Post by Locus »

do you know how to load balance it?

It's what we do. Currently my friend is in the process of testing to see how many connections his gear can load balance and not crater. As for specifics I'm having him make me a list of the gear he has (power cables, network cable, switches, routers, etc) that he wants to use. I'll have more specific data in the next day or so so we can see what we have and what we need.
Last edited by Locus on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

cool, I dont know much about load balancing gear.

I am thinking of picking up a new gigabit switch, the SR2024's dont have good back planes on them, and with 60+ people, its gonna hurt a little if there is alot of file transfers going on.
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

Guess I may as well also mention we have a bunch of extention cables/power cables as well. Can't hurt to bring more though, as long as everyone labels theirs..

Gonna meet up with Joe tomorrow
trythis1

Post by trythis1 »

i am in :)
Dragonfire[AB]

Post by Dragonfire[AB] »

i am in as well i also help with what i can just fire me the date so i can book the time off
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

The weekend that we have the hall booked for is Oct 23-24-25th
Locus

Post by Locus »

This is part one of two in regards to equipment that will be available for the lan.

Network Gear
4 24 port managed gig dells 5224
2 24 port layer 3 6024 switches with 2 10 gig fiber port each
1 48 port layer 3 gig switch
1 24 port layer 3 gig 6224
pair of cisco 3660 routers (to load balance the multiple internet connections)
pair of 3550 switches (to act as the core and distribution layer of the network)

Power (more details to come)
25 extension cords (ranging from 25, 50, and 100 ft)
a distributions panel (depends on further info about the hall and the amount of users and net gear we have to support)

My amigo has asked for a few pictures of the hall (for an idea how much space there is to work with), detailed picture of the main distribution panel in the facility (basically to see how much load it can handle and to obtain the rating of the main breaker, also if it has space to support a 3 fold 60 breaker panel), and also wants to know if there are any high voltage outlets in the building (the last lan we did at my place he unplugged my dryer and we ran everything off of a power panel we plugged into the outlet it was connected to).
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Locus wrote:This is part one of two in regards to equipment that will be available for the lan.

Network Gear
4 24 port managed gig dells 5224
2 24 port layer 3 6024 switches with 2 10 gig fiber port each
1 48 port layer 3 gig switch
1 24 port layer 3 gig 6224
pair of cisco 3660 routers (to load balance the multiple internet connections)
pair of 3550 switches (to act as the core and distribution layer of the network)

Power (more details to come)
25 extension cords (ranging from 25, 50, and 100 ft)
a distributions panel (depends on further info about the hall and the amount of users and net gear we have to support)

My amigo has asked for a few pictures of the hall (for an idea how much space there is to work with), detailed picture of the main distribution panel in the facility (basically to see how much load it can handle and to obtain the rating of the main breaker, also if it has space to support a 3 fold 60 breaker panel), and also wants to know if there are any high voltage outlets in the building (the last lan we did at my place he unplugged my dryer and we ran everything off of a power panel we plugged into the outlet it was connected to).

this will be gear available to the lan in october?.

its funny, cuz alot of those models where the ones I was lookign at buying :)