100+ person April LAN Party - Anyone interested?

Title says it all ...
avenphire

100+ person April LAN Party - Anyone interested?

Post by avenphire »

I've posted this on the Fragapalooza forums already so I'm just going to copy-paste what I wrote there. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated in addition to the other one.

As a side note: Although this is a new forum registration for me I have been to a couple GarageLANs before! Anyways...
Hi all,

I've been a patron of Fragapalooza since 2006. It is the event that I look forward to the most every single year, more so than any holiday. However, Fraga is only once a year and there aren't many big LAN events in-between in Edmonton. That is what I would like to change.

If I can spark enough interest in having a LAN in mid to late April I can get a 3500 sqft venue and sponsorship secured from a business partner of mine. We estimate we can fit about 150 people in there. We already have a food vendor secured and a Redbull reseller on board and are close to getting Shaw to get us a sick connection for the weekend.

Here are the details we have so far:
* It will be held on late April to mid May.
* We can fit around 100-150 people in the venue.
* We plan on having a couple tournaments with some prizes, probably peripherals like gaming mice, headsets etc.
* It will be over the span of 3 days. Friday morning to Sunday afternoon.
* We will be giving away and selling some swag like tshirts and hoodies.
* We will have a Shaw Nitro internet connection and 1gbit LAN.
* We want it to be a mostly social event instead of purely tournament based and want to figure out some cool little events we can hold during the LAN, maybe give some prizes away for those too.
* Ticket prices will be between $25 and $35 dollars depending on how many people we think we can get to attend.
* If it is successful we can hold one every 3 months. So April, October and January probably. (Not July/August of course!)
* The venue is in downtown Edmonton.

What I need from the community is feedback. I need to figure out how many people would actually be willing to attend, what kind of prizes and tournaments people would like to have, feedback on the ticket price and date and some ideas for mini-events to hold.

I started a Facebook group for the event so please join if your interested. I'll try to update this thread and the Facebook group equally. Please don't be afraid to share! The more interest in this the better.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=300619084472

Thanks!
Edit: The fragapalooza thread is taking off - http://www.fragapalooza.com/phpBB3/view ... f=2&t=3325
ratton

Re: 100+ person April LAN Party - Anyone interested?

Post by ratton »

is there parking in down town edmonton?
SCETR

Post by SCETR »

Tent City?
Die in an intense laser fire.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

FACEBOOK. WTF
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

Seriously though. Would certainly go if this takes off.
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
Decker

Post by Decker »

I would go too, permitting everything lines up.
I'm a man. I do manly things. Like drink vodka straight, while doing 1 armed chin-ups, and punching baby bunnies. All at the same time.
Grapeman

Post by Grapeman »

This looks promising.
Dolphins. The GAY sharks of the sea!!!

DIP ME IN CHOCOLATE and THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!!!

There is nothin finer then a Dickens Cider
Terdog

Post by Terdog »

ratton there is parking in downtown edmonton, but as i posted on the fraga forums, if this venue dosent have free parking (or at least cheap parking, say $10 for 3 days) parking in downtown edmonton can get dammed expensive in a hurry
Asus P5Ql Pro
Intel Q8400
Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB
4 GB Corsair XMS DDR 2 800
LiViD

Post by LiViD »

Terry, I think ratton's comment was meant to be sarcastic. More likely it was referring to the lack of parking in the downtown core.
Alienware M17xR3 :: i7-2720QM :: 8GB PC3-10600 :: GTX 485M @ 580M :: Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
Japanese Proverb: Bird never make nest in bare tree.
ratton

Post by ratton »

yea it was, parking is alway i good thing to look at for a lan party with bigger numbers. Not to sure about downtown core, i had a car broken into in that area
JohnyRico

Post by JohnyRico »

ratton wrote:yea it was, parking is alway i good thing to look at for a lan party with bigger numbers. Not to sure about downtown core, i had a car broken into in that area
Don't be leaving printouts of the Rat Pron on the front seat, and you shouldn't be broken into again.
Project X

Post by Project X »

avenphire wrote: I started a Facebook group for the event so please join if your interested. I'll try to update this thread and the Facebook group equally. Please don't be afraid to share! The more interest in this the better.

Thanks!

Are you guys planning on getting an actual website?
Project X is a Calgary LAN party event group.

Next Event:"Awakening!" July 27-29,2012 Tournaments,competitions & much more ProjectxLAN.com