JanLAN (Jan 6-7-8)

Title says it all ...
AlphaDrake

Re: JanLAN (Jan 6-7-8)

Post by AlphaDrake »

Latency wrote:Can we split the hall and have a RetroLAN at the same time? :) And just split the costs? Or I can just plan one for a month down the road. But I'm itchin to play some of these old games.... :)
I'm sure we can work it out...
Darkends

Post by Darkends »

i should be good for this one and i really am going to try and make it out. I am not oncall that weekend and i am marking it down on the caledar as i am going so i don't do anything else then.
Decker

Post by Decker »

Latency wrote:Can we split the hall and have a RetroLAN at the same time? :) And just split the costs? Or I can just plan one for a month down the road. But I'm itchin to play some of these old games.... :)
I like the idea of a retrolan, but you of all people should know that splitting a lan kind of sucks. Though, at these kind of sizes, I guess it really shouldn't matter. We're kind of already split into GL and Mega FPS anyways.
I'm a man. I do manly things. Like drink vodka straight, while doing 1 armed chin-ups, and punching baby bunnies. All at the same time.
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

I really wish there was a way to unify the groups... schedules don't seem to work. Having people walk around saying which game people are going to play doesn't seem to work (people are already in a game and don't want to leave).

Maybe if we had someone going around saying "1 hour until we play UT!" then "30 mins till we play UT", then "15 mins till we play UT!" to give everyone time to install and patch but I sure as shit don't want to be that person...
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

garagelan has a person who does that called Latency

to be honest, i dont think it works to well
TR 3960X - 128 Gb ram, 6900XT, Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB SSD ,Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB SSD
LiViD

Post by LiViD »

You have a projector... advertise the next game or whatever on it to get people's attention. ;)
Alienware M17xR3 :: i7-2720QM :: 8GB PC3-10600 :: GTX 485M @ 580M :: Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
Japanese Proverb: Bird never make nest in bare tree.
Qube

Post by Qube »

AlphaDrake wrote:I really wish there was a way to unify the groups... schedules don't seem to work. Having people walk around saying which game people are going to play doesn't seem to work (people are already in a game and don't want to leave).

Maybe if we had someone going around saying "1 hour until we play UT!" then "30 mins till we play UT", then "15 mins till we play UT!" to give everyone time to install and patch but I sure as shit don't want to be that person...
That stuff will never work, everyone has to be on the same page in order for that to work. People go to LANs to fuck off and have fun and do what they want, not to stick to a schedule and do what other people want.
previously: vect0r
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

funny everyone whines how we shouldn't try this every time it comes up, so much that it hasn't actually been tried once in the history of GL
Xeon 5675 + Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B | ASUS P6X58D-E | 25GB Patriot DDR3 | Geforece GTX1060 3GB + | Crucial MX500 1TB | InWin 805
ratton

Post by ratton »

I will have some reto games on my pc, whatever was on sale there. if some one else is playing any game I have, then we lan
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

Part of the issue is people start a different game while 'waiting' for people, then (understandably) don't want to leave it half-way through to start a different game.
Latency

Post by Latency »

LANs are fine. If people wanna play the same game bad enough they will. Last LAN we had like 20 people in a game of UT at the same time. Lots were playing BF3 at the same time. I don't mind walking around to everyones station and making sure they have the "game of choice" installed and working. It seems to work. Just need to broaden past UT and into some other games. I'm looking forward to JanLAN.

Oh and the GL and MegaFPS split is fine. To be honest, we seem like two completely different groups and personalities. Some of the MegaFPS guy cross over well with GL (like Shfincter) but the majority don't, and that's cool. Not everyone has to be buddy buddy. I've tried to some degree and it has been awkward to say the least but again it just comes down to a clash of personalities (or age thing....). The important thing is that we both respect the hall and the people in it. And so far we've all been awesome in that regard.
Intel Celeron 300A @ 500Mhz / Epox Mainboard / 64MB PC100 SDRAM / 3DFX Voodoo 2 / 19" Viewsonic @ 200Hz / 150GB WD Velociraptor / Lian-Li Case / Windows 98
Decker

Post by Decker »

The split doesn't really seem to come from personalities or age difference really. I mean look at us GLers, we are quite a diverse group age and personality wise. It just seems to be the preconcieved notion that we are seperate groups. But I can understand the want and need for individuality with the members before the LAN mergers. We both have our own seperate beginnings and roots to look back on fondly that neither one of the groups shares. I can see the idea of the seperation being a tool to keep that past alive and not water down the experience. As long as we aren't starting wars with each other, I'm fine with it. At least, not literal wars, I'll take you all down in UT you damn MegaFPSers!

The only difficulty is that it's almost implied that a new member has to choose a side. Though, I am sure that there will be exceptions that breaks the mold and befriends both without a problem.
I'm a man. I do manly things. Like drink vodka straight, while doing 1 armed chin-ups, and punching baby bunnies. All at the same time.
ratton

Post by ratton »

I like both group. I know more GL ppl though.
ratton

Post by ratton »

OO ya, which UT, just buy that steam pack there. should I just have them all ready for the lan?
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Latency wrote:LANs are fine. If people wanna play the same game bad enough they will. Last LAN we had like 20 people in a game of UT at the same time. Lots were playing BF3 at the same time. I don't mind walking around to everyones station and making sure they have the "game of choice" installed and working. It seems to work. Just need to broaden past UT and into some other games. I'm looking forward to JanLAN.

Oh and the GL and MegaFPS split is fine. To be honest, we seem like two completely different groups and personalities. Some of the MegaFPS guy cross over well with GL (like Shfincter) but the majority don't, and that's cool. Not everyone has to be buddy buddy. I've tried to some degree and it has been awkward to say the least but again it just comes down to a clash of personalities (or age thing....). The important thing is that we both respect the hall and the people in it. And so far we've all been awesome in that regard.
I kind of got that to, I was able to mingle but it started to look like a whos the biggest nerd contest so I backed off, i did feel alot of respect though. Like if some e-thugs were to show up and start making trouble in our zone they'd call the cops for sure, maybe even help us throw dragonfire at them.
Xeon 5675 + Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B | ASUS P6X58D-E | 25GB Patriot DDR3 | Geforece GTX1060 3GB + | Crucial MX500 1TB | InWin 805