HallowLAN 2012

Title says it all ...
Maleboligia

Re: HallowLAN 2012

Post by Maleboligia »

I loved that map Mobius, used to play CTF with sniper rifles only and low gravity with my buddy Len. Fun times. Might have to fire it up tonight.

I am not sure if I can come to Hallowlan with my PC but I will definitely visit and bring 2 future lanners, my step sons (11 and 14)
Shenker10

Post by Shenker10 »

I just thought of it... if you guys need a pretty basic dedicated server to run a server on I can bring mine, I don't really want to mess with it much but as long as I get it back after the LAN have at it... specs: Dell precision 690 tower, single Xeon 5150 dual core, 4 GB ram(I have 4 more gb for it though)... the catch is that it needs a monitor in order to boot because Dells bios is dumb! But it's running ubuntu 12.04 and has hosted a minecraft server without any issues before, its not much work to bring it so just let me know if you need an extra server
Hi, My Name Is: Jackson
LAN RIG: FX4100 @4.0 or 3.6, Asus M5A97rev1.0, 550ti, 8gb Kingston, 1tb+500gb 7200rpm cuda's Antec One w/ Blue flashys.

"Im reliably late if that counts for anything"
kryps

Post by kryps »

yes, and would be great to have a webpage to post server info on, that all lan members can access. need an announcement system too, something internal(in the lan room itself) and noticeable.
Shenker10

Post by Shenker10 »

kryps wrote:yes, and would be great to have a webpage to post server info on, that all lan members can access. need an announcement system too, something internal(in the lan room itself) and noticeable.
Yeah if someone had a projector that could be a good use of it... il throw the server in with an extra mouse/keyboard as well... 2 weeks and counting, I as well as 4 other LAN noobs are pretty pumped to say the least!
LAN RIG: FX4100 @4.0 or 3.6, Asus M5A97rev1.0, 550ti, 8gb Kingston, 1tb+500gb 7200rpm cuda's Antec One w/ Blue flashys.

pinkdonut666

Post by pinkdonut666 »

YEAH UT FOR TEH WIN!
2600K @4.6ghz, 16gb AMD 1600mhz, 2 HD6990's, Maximus IV extreme z68, SB x-fi titanium HD
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

We've tried a few ways to get announcements to everyone, we have yet to find something that really works. People like to put movies on the projector (when we even have one), and there is no PA.

I try to run around and tell everyone that we are playing X game but usually people are in the middle of their own game and don't want to join.

I'm open to suggestions.. (setting schedules don't seem to work either because sometimes people don't feel like playing that game or they go for a 3 hours supper and half the group is missing...)
Decker

Post by Decker »

Without having a definite set game theme for a LAN, you can never get everyone in on the same game. Not that you would want to since there are so many people, anyways. The way that the LAN's operate now are good enough. Everyone plays what they want and if someone wants to join in, awesome. It's not as if you guys don't play the most popular multiplayer games at the time, anyways. I foresee a lot of borderlands 2 and XCOM this one. Probably a bunch of people playing Dishonored on the down times. Maybe still going on Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3 since most people don't really have gaming lives at home and only really get a chance to devote time at LAN's. The classics usually pop out if you get a loud enough voice and good/easy access to installations. I know Joe is going to visit and play some UT.

If you really want to get a game going, just host a tournament with prizes. Even if they are shitty prizes, at least it gets the intent that these are the type of games you want to be played at the LAN.
Last edited by Decker on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a man. I do manly things. Like drink vodka straight, while doing 1 armed chin-ups, and punching baby bunnies. All at the same time.
Grapeman

Post by Grapeman »

I am totally in for this. YOu updating the list Alpha?
Dolphins. The GAY sharks of the sea!!!

DIP ME IN CHOCOLATE and THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!!!

There is nothin finer then a Dickens Cider
Shenker10

Post by Shenker10 »

AlphaDrake wrote:We've tried a few ways to get announcements to everyone, we have yet to find something that really works. People like to put movies on the projector (when we even have one), and there is no PA.

I try to run around and tell everyone that we are playing X game but usually people are in the middle of their own game and don't want to join.

I'm open to suggestions.. (setting schedules don't seem to work either because sometimes people don't feel like playing that game or they go for a 3 hours supper and half the group is missing...)

Honestly more then any other source to decide what games I was going to play and with who at fragapalooza was the IRC (idk how to setup an irc server but feel free to use it for this and other announcements). I didn't think I would but weather I wanted food or someone to play a game with, or even buy a usb fan that was almost sold out for all 4 days lol. it was all on there. Now that of course is utterly useless when people are in game and not watching the irc chat but I think between posting games 30 or so mins early on both the site and irc announcements would get people into it... Of course if we could get a small PA system that would be ideal but if its not possible, it's not gonna happen.... Now of course I'm not only new to LANs but I've never even met most of both the GL or MFPS team so although my opinion probably means squat to most of you vets, that's just what I thought got my attention at fragapalooza

Edit: I know it's pretty "white trash" if you will but if someone has an old karaoke machine, the ones with the small screen and built in speakers... I know those are quite loud and have a microphone attached,, I.E an ultra cheap and slightly effective PA system, I don't have one but if someone wants to pull their old one out from under the green shag carpet and pumpkin orange chesterfield it might be semi-effective :D :lol:

AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

Grapeman wrote:I am totally in for this. YOu updating the list Alpha?
Sure? I'm down for UT.

Shenker: Most of the GL/MegaFPS people don't use IRC :/
kryps

Post by kryps »

No comment on whether we use irc or not, but I agree with AlphaDrake that not many people have it or use it or bother to.

We may also consider just using these forums for the info. Create a Forum for the event. Instead of having a single thread of server info, we can have a Forum where server owners create their own thread for each server and discussions of problems or notifications can be posted on those threads specific to the server. Server owners could also edit their thread title and put a status in it, like changing from "Boomer's BF2142 server" to "[ONLINE] Boomer's BF2142 server" or "[OFFLINE] Boomer's BF2142 server", etc. etc.
pinkdonut666

Post by pinkdonut666 »

As long as if i don't have the version of UT being played i can grab it, I'm always up for some UT. AT lans i end up playing single player games. WHich version of UT>
2600K @4.6ghz, 16gb AMD 1600mhz, 2 HD6990's, Maximus IV extreme z68, SB x-fi titanium HD
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

pinkdonut666 wrote:As long as if i don't have the version of UT being played i can grab it, I'm always up for some UT. AT lans i end up playing single player games. WHich version of UT>
You must learn how to take advantage of Steam sales...

But UT is free
ratton

Post by ratton »

i am sure most of as here took advantage of the ut steam sale.

have got to use them yet.
kryps

Post by kryps »

pinkdonut666 wrote:As long as if i don't have the version of UT being played i can grab it,
Someone at the lan was sharing games and amongst his folders he had 3 repositories of portable lan games, one of them included UT. From what I recall, this is where everyone got UT from.