RTS LAN - April 6 - 8 - UPDATED WITH POST GAME INFO - CLOSED

Title says it all ...
Ryzzen

Post by Ryzzen »

I'm still coming to the lan.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

ok, mobius made it sound grim, even if I filled the spot, we would have let ya come
SCETR

Post by SCETR »

Ok, guys been playin some Supreme Commander lately and after the last patch I seem to get kicked after about an hour and a half. It seems that Supreme Commander will take so much ram that you get kicked after you pass the threshold of 2GB. There is a workaround developed by a player named MadBoris and here is a link to the fix. It is at http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic. ... highlight= . The fix involves two steps.

i) update your boot INI to let windows XP go past the 2 GB threshold
ii) update the supremecommander.exe by changing the header which tells the app to take more than 2GB.

It seems that this will either i) let the game use more system ram than 2 GB if you have it or ii) let the game use more pagefile ram if it is there thus preventing the crash and letting the game continue.

I will patch the game tonight and let you know how it goes.

The only thing to watch out for is to keep your original exe intact. If there is an update then you say no to the update. Then restore to the original exe, get the patch. Then you fix the new patch again.

Anyhow the link explains it all.

See ya,

P.S. Trythis1 just went and bought C&C3, do I need to buy this or is someone bringing a DEMO (hint hint) copy along.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

I GOT A DEMO
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

you guys going to grind house ( myself included), i assume your still coming at some point friday.

i would suggest ya drop off your pc real quick and then goto the movie
SCETR

Post by SCETR »

I thought Grindhouse was on Saturday night, I am planning on coming over on Friday Morning, is that OK?
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

SCETR wrote:I thought Grindhouse was on Saturday night, I am planning on coming over on Friday Morning, is that OK?
thats ok yup

there will be a small window i need to duck out of the house in the morning or noon, but I am sure we can work around it.

Phone me @
9o7 9o94 if ya show up and nobody answers
SCETR

Post by SCETR »

Ok, now an update on Supreme Commander. I finally was able to try out the patch. I did as in the example above patching both boot.ini and the supremecommander.exe. Then I started a squirmish game on an 80K map, the biggest one of all, with 7 AI's and me. Then I just played and kept track of the resource usage. I saved along the way too.

I used to get kicked at about the 1.6 GB threshold after an hour and a half. Last night i played for 4 hours with no problem, I was at the 1.82 GB point when I had to save and go to bed. So..... much better improvement, the game did slow down near the end but that would have happened anyway, there are so many units on the screen, i limited to 500 per player. I may try to bump that up in the future but for now, I am definitely happy.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

sounds a little promissing, so use the patch when ya get to the lan
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

wft are ya pyro?
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

how was the lan?
punqewe wrote:could be worse...I mean you have to almost be psychic to figure out what Fiber's posts are. lol
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

pretty darn good, definatly a success
Scald

Post by Scald »

zeroumus wrote:pretty darn good, definatly a success
Not only did the lan kick ass by normal standards, while all you were sleeping i had a BoE epic drop in WoW, now THAT is a a succesful weekend