WTB - POS HDD

Got used crap for sale? Peddle it here.

latency

WTB - POS HDD

Post by latency »

Anyone have a POS HDD for cheap? I just want something to install linux onto. It bugs me that I don't know more about this OS.
Spyhop

Post by Spyhop »

Best thing would be to drop windows and install linux and work with it for a little while. If you want to keep doing all the things you're accustomed to doing with your computer, then you're forced to learn fast. It's like moving to a foreign country and having to learn a new language quickly in order to cope. :P

Trust me, it works.
rob[GL]

Post by rob[GL] »

Damnit!

Wish you wold have said something sooner...

I just threw out about 20x 500MB-4GB drives

But now that I think about it, I may have a 15GB IDE (Quantum)... Let me dig around and I'll get back to you.
I was GL!
I am 780!
latency

Post by latency »

I hear ya Dolphin. It will be my main OS. I just have a ton of sensitive data on my existing HDD (yes, it's backed up but over a span of 20 or so DVD's). And I share the PC with the wife. The safest thing is to install in on a second HDD and dual boot it. It will be my primary OS, but my old setup will always be there when I want to play games or attend LANs.

Thanks rob. I am gonna think 20-40GB hdd's will be what I need. I wanna be able to do more than just install linux. I wanna be able to rip DVD's and do all of my daily tasks. By todays standards I would think 20-40GB hard drives would be considered POS. I dunno what 500MB to 4GB would be ..... I guess trash.
rob[GL]

Post by rob[GL] »

latency wrote:I hear ya Dolphin. It will be my main OS. I just have a ton of sensitive data on my existing HDD (yes, it's backed up but over a span of 20 or so DVD's). And I share the PC with the wife. The safest thing is to install in on a second HDD and dual boot it. It will be my primary OS, but my old setup will always be there when I want to play games or attend LANs.

Thanks rob. I am gonna think 20-40GB hdd's will be what I need. I wanna be able to do more than just install linux. I wanna be able to rip DVD's and do all of my daily tasks. By todays standards I would think 20-40GB hard drives would be considered POS. I dunno what 500MB to 4GB would be ..... I guess trash.
Which is why they went into the dumpster!

:)

I would think 15GB would be sufficient to install Linux... But if you need something bigger, I wont bother digging through my piles of crap.
I was GL!
I am 780!
latency

Post by latency »

Don't bother. But thanks!! :)
AlphaDrake

Post by AlphaDrake »

I have a bunch of 30 gig drives, honestly don't know if they work or not, and whats on em. If you want em bad enough, you can pick em up for free.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

and i got a 80g that i do not care about any more
mertz

Post by mertz »

I have a shitload of 60gb maxtor IDE drives, I'd give you one for free
latency

Post by latency »

well well, thanks for the offers guys. zero, i need an excuse to get out of my house and hang with you guys anyways. maybe we'll plan a movie night and HDD pickup for next week. this weeks too busy with funerals and camping trips.
zeroumus

Post by zeroumus »

most times are free